Friday, January 22, 2010

Stripped Down and Getting Naked

I have always been a huge fan of being a transparent leader.  When asked “what is my management / leadership style?” I answer with “I like to get naked”.  What I am referring to is opening up and putting most of my business out there.  For me it kills off rumors and builds trust with your team.  Plus it is less stress on remembering what you said and didn’t say.

Well today I want to applaud a company that has a very naked ad campaign going on right now.  That company is Domino’s Pizza.  They have changed their pizza recipe for the first time in like 50 years.  Instead of just changing the taste and calling it ‘new and improved‘ they have come out with the reasons they changed it.  They basically are saying ‘hey our customers thought our pizza started to suck’.

To take it a step further on their commercials they are quoting customers.  Here are two quotes that stood out to me:

  • “the crust tastes like cardboard”
  • “the sauce tastes like ketchup”

So here they are pulling the curtain back saying hey we see that we screwed up over the past few years.  We haven’t kept our taste up to expectations and we are listening.

Domino’s has even set up a website about the change at www.pizzaturnaround.com .  On the site they have a short documentary with actual footage from focus groups.  Plus they have a stream of tweets that provide real time feedback on the product.  not all of the tweets are positive and to their credit they leave them up.

Will the nakedness work?  I don’t know but I can tell you that I plan to order some Domino’s soon.

It makes me wonder what would happen if other companies or churches decided to exercise the same naked approach?

Plus if a company or church doesn’t want you to peek behind the curtain, don’t you wonder what they are hiding?

[Via http://gregtroxell.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment